FM 4991, Standard for the Approval of Firestop Contractors
Important information about how Contractors Earn FM 4991 Approval:
What does it take to get FM 4991 Approved ?
1. Download the FM 4991 Standard
2. Study the FCIA Firestop Manual of Practice
3. Take the FM Firestop Exam.
4. Write a company Management System Manual. Join FCIA to access the FCIA Sample Management System Manual, for use as a 'template' to start your manual. (Once joining, find in Members Only)
5. Have FM Approvals audit your company quality management system a the office, and on the jobsite.
6. Once the company is FM 4991 Approved, the person who passed the FM Firestop Exam becomes a "DRI', Designated Responsible Individual.
The links below step you through the process. Contact the FCIA Office at +1 708-202-1108 if you have questions.
FCIA's Accreditation Committee worked with FM Approvals to develop this program, and meets continually to maintain it. This page contains information needed to get Approved.
FM 4991 Standard
The link below is the complete FM 4991 Standard, PDF, from FM Approvals. It is required reading to get approved, and the first step.
Standard for the Approval of Firestop
Contractors, Class 4991
FM Approvals, Member of the FM Global Group, is a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) involved in testing products, materials and services useful to property conservation. The enclosed standard formalizes our continued commitment to better serve the loss prevention community by providing an equipment listing service for use by FM Global, authorities having jurisdiction and other interested authorities.
FM 4991 Contractor Quality Manual Development Guidelines by Jeff
Gould, FM Approvals
FM Approvals' Jeff Gould presented this powerpoint presentation about how to develop a quality manual. Below it is the FM Document that explains how to create a Quality Manual documenting the Firestop Contractor Firm's Quality Managment System.
FM 4991 Quality
Control Manual Guide Powerpoint
Suggested Quality Control Manual Guidelines
Firestop Contractor Audits by FM Personnel - Initial Facilities and Procedures Audit Guidelines
To become an FM 4991 DRI, the MOP is a must-have for you to study. It is available from FCIA, at a huge discount for FCIA Members. Join today if you haven't already.
Checklist of items for Firestop Contractors seeking FM 4991 Approval for their firm
Need to report CEU's attained?
FM 4991 Contractor DRI CEU Reporting Information
Below are forms to submit DRI CEU activities to FM Approvals for continued FM DRI Status in the FM 4991 Standard for the Approval of Firestop Contractor Program. In 2015, a change was made to modify the FM Firestop Exam re-examination requirements. The new criteria refines the definition of CEU. It also adds and devines a new term - Learning Unit (LU). Per the new requirements:
1 CEU = 8 LUs
The DRI is required to maintain six (6) Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or forty-eight (48) Learning Units (LUs) OR retake - AND PASS - the FM Firestop Exam evern three (3) years.
Here's how you earn CEU's:
- Attend the full FCIA Conferences - 12 LUs
- Attend FCIA Educational Webinars - 1 LU for each hour attended, Certificate issued for actual time spent on the Webinar
- Attend a Fire Protection Conference, NFPA Seminar, International Code Council, AIA, ALA, Construction Specifications Institute national or local chapter meetings where the topics covered are loss prevention, fire containment, building codes and other construction related topics at the discretion of FM Approvals - 1 LU for each hour attended
- Attend FCIA Total Fire Protection Systems Symposium - Up to 12 LUs
- Attend FCIA Effective Compartmentation Symposiums - Up to 12 LUs
- Hold staff education where the DRI is the instructor - 1 LU for each hour presented
- Present to Specifiers, Building Officials, Fire Marshals and Code Officials where the DRI is the instructor - 1 LU for each hour presented
- And more...
*NOTE: FM Approvals determines CEU Values for #3-8.
FM 4991 DRI CEU Requirements
and Reporting Form
FM 4991 DRI CEU Firestop
Presentation Report Form
FM 4991 DRI CEU Firestop Presentation
Attendee Sign in Form
FCIA Specification with FM 4991 included
FCIA has written a suggested specification for professionals to use when specifying Firestopping for all disciplines.
Firestopping Penetrations, Joints
and Perimeter Fire Containment
You will need the free Acrobat
Reader to view any of these documents.
For more information about how to become an FM 4991 Approved Firestop
Contractor, contact the FCIA Office at (708) 202-1108, or email
QC info - suggested guildelines
Firestop Initial F&PA Guidelines